Something About Mytheryi DilipMythreyi Dilip is a self-taught Baker, Chef, Food Blogger and a stay at home parent. She has performed at various cookery shows on Indian television channels, published recipes on magazines and newspapers and won many awards in various cooking and baking competitions. She is originally from Chettinad, which is a part of Southern India, from where originates the most popular dish – Chicken Chettinad. She has lived in the US for 8 years and now lives in Australia. Mythreyi loves cooking healthy and nutritious homemade meals for family and friends. Two of the most favourite and comfortable cuisines that she often cooks at home are Indian and Mexican. Rice is a staple meal at her home and since the day she arrived in Australia she has been using Taj Classic Basmati Rice for her everyday cooking. According to her, “Taj Classic Basmati Rice, which is Aged and has Extra Long Grains, suits very well for Indian and Mexican cuisines”. She has recently also started using the Taj Nutri-Brown Basmati (Brown Basmati Rice), which according to her “has a great texture and a taste that her family loves”. Mytheri Dilip participated in Taj Foods’ 2018 Mother’s Day Recipe contest. Here’s her winning Recipe for Vegetable Biryani cooked with Taj Classic Basmati Rice…
- Taj Basmati- 2 cups
- Mixed vegetables- 2 cups
- Onion medium-sized (sliced)- 1 no
- Tomato small( sliced)- 1 no
- Ginger and garlic paste- 1 tbsp
- Biryani masala powder- 1 tsp
- Chilli powder- 1 tsp
- Coriander powder- 2 tsp
- Cardamom- 4 no’s
- Cinnamon stick- 1 inch
- Cloves- 4 no’s
- Plain Greek yogurt- 1/2 cup
- Cashew nuts- handful
- Chopped mint and coriander leaves- handful
- Pinch of saffron soaked in 2 tbsp warm milk.
- Salt to taste
- Vegetable oil 2 tbsp
- Cook Taj basmati rice in salted boiling water until 3/4th cooked, drain cooked rice and allow to cook.
- In a fry pan add 2 tbsp vegetable oil, when hot add sliced onions and raw cashew nuts, fry until golden and drain them on to paper towel, set aside.
- To the same oil add whole spices and finger & garlic paste fry for a minute, add mixed vegetables, spices powders and fry for another minute, now add yogurt, tomatoes to the pan and season with salt, simmer for 5 mins until some gravy is left with vegetables and turn off the heat.
- In a casserole dish spread half of cooked taj basmati on the bottom layer, add the prepared vegetable above the rice layer and again spread rest of the cooked taj basmati rice. Drizzle the saffron milk, fried onions & cashews and chopped herbs on the top of rice layer. Cover casserole and cook in oven for another 15 mins at 150•C
- Enjoy flavourful Vegetable biryani with curry and raita.