Della (Indonesia)Being borne and raised in a country hardwires a certain culinary circuitry. The French have pot-au-feu, the Italians fine pasta, America is addicted to burgers, the Irish lifeblood is mashed potato and the English have curry pumping through their veins. Indonesian food has vast influences, from Indian curry to eastern Asian. Della was brought up in Jakarta and has always had a special place in her heart (and stomach) for Nasi Goreng. Arguably the national dish and go-to meal for many Indonesians. “I now live in Australia where the food is amazing and diverse. However, I still crave the homecooked meals from my childhood. Nasi Goreng is heartwarming and tummy-warming. It’s such a satisfying dish that combines chilli and pungent tastes”
NASI GORENG RECIPE
- 1 cup uncooked White Tiger Basmati
- 2 cups water
- Cooking spray
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 leek, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 green chile peppers, chopped
- 1/2 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into thin strips
- 1/2 pound peeled and deveined prawns
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3 tablespoons sweet soy sauce (Indonesian Kecap Manis)
- Bring the rice and water to a boil in a saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the rice is tender, and the liquid has been absorbed 20 to 25 minutes. Spread on a baking sheet, and refrigerate 2 hours until cold.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Spray with nonstick cooking spray. Pour eggs into hot skillet. Cook until the eggs begin to set, lifting up the edges of the set eggs to allow the uncooked egg to contact the hot pan, about 1 minute. Flip omelette in one piece and cook until fully set, about 30 seconds. Slice omelette into 1/2 inch strips.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a wok or large frying pan over high heat. Stir in the onion, leek, garlic, and chile peppers. Cook, stirring, until onion is soft, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in the chicken, prawns, coriander, and cumin, mixing well. Cook and stir for approximately 5 minutes.
- Mix in the cold rice, sweet soy sauce, and omelette strips; cook until shrimp are bright pink and chicken is no longer pink in the centre, 3 to 5 minutes.