It is that holy month of the year again – Ramadan – the Islamic fasting month. This is a month of fasting, prayer, introspection, charity and cleansing the inner self. During this holy month, apart from physical fasting, it is also about abstaining from gossiping, swearing, arguing, etc. Ramadan month fasting is to be observed from sunrise to sunset and teaches patience, empathy and discipline.
Each morning starts with a light pre-dawn meal called the sehri and the day’s fast concludes with a prayer and the fast is broken with dates, sweets, snacks and water. This is followed by a main course meal called the iftar. During Ramadan, you must have substantial meals involving rice, so that you compensate for the fast. Here, we will be sharing with you a delicious form of Basmati Pilaf that you can prepare for your family.
We wish you and your family a Ramadan Kareem (Generous Ramadan)!
Ingredients to cook Kabuli Lamb Pilaf using Basmati Rice
- 2 cups Taj Classic Parboiled Basmati Rice
- 2 tbsp Masala Spice Mix
- 2 tbsp Cumin Seeds
- Olive oil
- 30 g Pistachio Nuts
- 30 g Almonds
- Olive oil
- 1 large Carrot, julienned
- 100 g Sultanas
Ingredients to cook Meat
- Olive Oil 1/3 cup
- 1/2 cup pre-fried onions
- 1 large onion diced
- 0.5 kg lamb leg meat, cut into cubes
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2–3 cardamom pods, cracked
- 1 tsp masala spice mix
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 100 ml water
- Pour Basmati Rice into a large mixing bowl and cover in water. Wash rice and soak for at least 30 mins.
- To prepare the topping, soak pistachio nuts in water for about 3 hours. Later, remove the skin and put it in cold water to maintain the colour. Soak the almonds in water and remove all the skins.
- Fry the carrot in a saucepan over medium-high heat for 3 minutes. When the moisture has been drawn out of the carrots and they are soft but not brown, remove and drain. Fry sultanas in the same oil for about 1 minute then set aside with carrot.
- To prepare the meat, heat oil in thick-based frying pan over medium-high heat, add the pre-fried onions and cook for 1 minute or until soft. Add the meat, salt and pepper and cook until browned. Then add cracked cardamom, masala spice mix, water, onion and simmer until meat is tender (up to 2hrs). Drain and reserve the liquid from meat. Transfer meat to a separate bowl.
- Boil enough water to cover the rice in a large pot, add Taj Classic Parboiled Basmati Rice and salt, cover and cook for 7 minutes or until the rice is cooked. Drain out the excess water.